Sunday, June 10, 2007

Lots and Lots of Dead Bodies

I whipped up a new mix. And this afternoon I saw Bodies: The Exhibition. It's easily one of the neater and more intersting things I've browsed in a cold dark gallery. And one of the select times when I've actually read all the display supplements. Big deal, guys.

I can never make up my mind about concept albums. I've liked tracks from a concept album, and I've loved tracks from a concept album, but I've never loved a concept album. Of all my top favorites, I just don't think there's been any room for obscure ideas and sleeves as maps. When a band gets it in their pretty heads to conjure up a connection between jellyfish and the underworkings of fatherly love, I rarely follow. Or barely hold on. And when I make my self-satisfying mixed CD's, it's even harder to include a song from a concept album. I'm either going to give you less for your download or complicate myself trying to choose just one. Everyone knows that a mixed cd is more a less a representation of the best of an album, ep or live recording. A concept album is just too much pressue, and making a good mixed CD is pressure enough.

Please judge me now.

Dirty Pretty Things - Wondering (Tavern Version) - Bang Bang You're Dead
Matt Pond PA - If You Want Blood - If You Want Blood EP
Arctic Monkeys - Flourecent Adolecent - Your Favourite Worst Nightmare
The Dear Hunter - Smiling Swine - Act II: The Meaning Of, And All Things Regarding Ms. Leading
Piebald - Put Your Slippers On Instead - All Ears, All Eyes, All The Time
My American Heart - Speak Low If You Speak Love - Hiding Inside the Horrible Weather
The Jealous Sound - Quiet Life - The Jealous Sound EP
The Graduate - Justified - Horror Show EP
The Honorary Title - Apologize - Scream And Light Up The Sky
Ted Leo - Six Months In A Leaky Boat - Tell Balgeary, Balgury Is Dead
Cold War Kids - Tell Me In The Morning - Robbers And Cowards
Everybody Else - I Gotta Run - Everybody Else
Weatherbox - The Drugs - American Art
Call It Arson - Eliza - The Animal Strings Album
Modest Mouse - Florida - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank
Styrofoam - Couches In Alleys (feat. Ben Gibbard) - Nothing's Lost
Styrofoam - Front to Back (feat. Andrew Kenny) - Nothing's Lost
Jenoah - Southern Breathing Dreams - demos
Adelphi - Sir-Chops-A-Lot - demos
Mates of State - So Many Ways - Bring It Back
Jimmy Eat World - A Sunday - Modified Arts Show 12.27.01
Bright Eyes - Sunrise, Sunset - Fevers & Mirrors
Laymen Terms - Mrs. Allyson - Drive to Nowhere: Verity's Novel
A Radio With Guts - Another Night in the House of Suicide - Beat Heart Sweet Stereo

No comments: